Understanding how a computer works after you press the power button is key to working with technology effectively. On this course, you will explore what happens inside the machine and learn how computers turn inputs into outputs. You will learn what the computer operating system does and why you need it. You will also compare software and hardware, understand the importance of the central processing unit (CPU), and address factors that affect computer performance.
Understanding Computer Systems
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology,in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.Carl Sagan (American astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist, astrobiologist, and author)
What will you achieve?
- Describe the difference between hardware and software
- Describe and compare storage, input, and output devices
- Identify the functions of the hardware in a computer system
- Investigate how devices interact with the operating system and other software
- Assess the importance of operating systems and virtual memory
- Discuss factors affecting the performance of a system
- Explore different types of software such as application, system, and utility